Monday, June 20, 2011

Attack of the Mutant I Spy Quilt

 Okay, somebody better call Guinness to see if there is a category for World's Biggest I-Spy Quilt. This thing is redonkulous. It is 106 inches long (!) and about 90 inches wide ... it is made of 538 unique four inch squares (no repeats) ...
-
Click any photo to enlarge if you wish.
 Here's a long shot to get an idea of the size.  It is on the upper deck of my parents' big old house.
 And yes, I'll be the first to admit that I went a little overboard, but oh well, life is short, my kids will only be little for so long, etc. ... And speaking of the kids, they are very excited it is done!  We will be taking this quilt along with us as we travel this summer -- to help make hotel rooms cosier and to serve as entertainment whenever the need may arise.
 I sent it out to be quilted by long-arm and chose an allover teddy bear pantograph.
While making this I mentioned that I used a different colour of Kona cotton to sash each of the 16 different 25 patch squares.  It helps the whole quilt look less busy and also serves as a "clue" to use when playing I-Spy ...
 This strange purple fabric is what I used for the backing.  It kind of has an I Spy feature itself.  Those are walking sticks on it.
 My handsome helpers.  My Dad and my husband Shane.
Thanks for stopping by!  I'll be having linky fun by going all out for my one post a week that I link up by joining in with  {Sew} Modern Monday, Manic Monday , Made by You Monday , Fabric Tuesday and a new-to-me linky Sew Cute Tuesday
-
And it is hard to believe but this is the final week of kindergarten for my son and next week is the final week of preschool for my daughter!  I'll be mostly away from the computer over the next little bit, finishing up some writing-related things before summer fun starts ... see you again in a week or so!

0 comments:

Post a Comment