Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Canada Day Pennants from a Dollar Store Bandana

 I made this Canada Day pennant string yesterday.   The "fabric" I used was a $1.00 bandana from the Great Canadian Dollar Store.  When I saw the bandana in the store and thought it might be cotton, I figured I could give this a try and it worked.  It was very easy to do; it took less than an hour.  I clicked a few pictures as I went.
 Besides the bandana, I used some white cotton for backing and a long strip of red for the hanging string.
 This is what the bandana looked like open.  It measures about 21 inches square -- so basically a fat quarter!
 I folded it twice.  Then ironed.
 Then folded again.   Ironed.
 And again. 
 This was really my only "trick."  Once it was all folded, it just took one cut.  I placed the ruler as shown and sliced.  (You may also want to trim the very top to straighten things out.)
 Voila! 
 I sewed the wrong sides to the white.
 Turned.  I think at this point they look like icing tubes.
Pressed.  Sewed into the string.  I made my own from a red strip of fabric.
-
I have ours hanging in the dining room window for now.  I would like to make another string or two before Canada Day (July 1).    As a side note, the dollar store had plastic pennant strings for sale for $3.00, but I am much happier with mine for $1.00, a few fabric scraps and a bit of my time! 
-
I'm linking up with Thrifty Thursday and Sundae Scoop Link to Party. Thanks for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment