Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Summertime Simplicity


The temperature here has spiked into the 90's and just like last summer, my desire to make heavy quilted pieces has been replaced with the urge to stitch simple lightweight Pojagi patchwork.


For those of you who may be new to my blog, or those of you like myself with memory that isn't always the best, Pojagi, (also known as Bojagi or Bojaki) and pronounced Po-Jah-ki, is a very old form of Korean patchwork.


I adore Pojagi for so many reasons...


It is simplicity at its best. A thin patchwork cloth. All seams enclosed. Both sides beautiful.


When held to the light it becomes transformed.


Eco-friendly in nature, Pojagi is often used for the practical purpose of a wrapping cloth, such as to wrap a small gift item, or to wrap and carry ones lunch, (once unwrapped it serves as a place mat).

Now I ask you... what's not to love about Pojagi?!

To see a wonderful video featuring the acclaimed Korean Pojagi Artist, Chunghie Lee and how she has pushed the boundaries of this ancient form of stitch work, go here.

You can see my past Pojagi work here, and stay tuned for more, as Pojagi is what I plan to be stitching all summer long!

PS. Yes, my blog break is officially over!

0 comments:

Post a Comment