Saturday, May 28, 2011

Green Gables

 No quilts this time, but I thought you might enjoy some pictures of the Green Gables House in PEI.  It is a part of Lucy Maud Montgomery's Cavendish National Historic Site.  We visited there on Thursday.  My husband had to go to PEI for a conference so we tagged along.
 There are my kids about to go in the house.  This was right before I rushed up and explained the "house rules." We were fortunate to be there quite early in the day and it was early in the season so there was hardly anyone around.
-
Lucy Maud Montgomery is one of my favourite novelists and certainly my favourite non-living writer.  My favourite book of hers is The Blue Castle.  I read the Emily series of her books as a child, but all the others including Anne of Green Gables as a adult.
 When you enter, you come to the large barn first.
 This is a side view.
 There are beautiful grounds.  This is the front lawn.
 This is more of the front lawn and a golf course in the distance.  Those trees along the golf course are the Haunted Wood.
 Doesn't this look inviting?
 Or this? 
 It is a large house with several bedrooms. 
 The ironing board is in the corner of the kitchen.
 And I could most certainly sit here and happily sew.  This is upstairs looking out onto the back yard.
-
I read recently that when William and Kate come to Canada for their Royal Visit in July they are going to Green Gables as Anne of Green Gables was Kate's favourite book as a child.  The impact of that one book, Lucy Maud's debut novel, written in 1908, is absolutely astonishing.  When you are on the Island you can see that even today, it is at the core of the Island's tourism. 
-
 And even beyond Cavendish, PEI is beautiful.  I took a pile of photos.
Look at the gorgeous yellow!
-
Some quilty stuff to come next time.  Thanks for stopping by!

0 comments:

Post a Comment