Wednesday, May 25, 2011

I Spy Quilt Top Layout

 It seems I have been working on this I Spy quilt a long time ... or maybe it just feels that way because the kids keep asking me if it's done yet.  I love their excitement about it.  And it is finally close to finished.
 This is the first time I've shown it with the large squares sewn together.  There are 16 blocks made of 25  4 inch squares each and sashed in 16 different colours of Kona solids.  The sashing is 2.5 inches wide. 
 Across the top I'm adding this band of squares along with the letters spelling "I Spy."  The fabric I had to fussy cut the letters from only had lowercase letters so I actually used the lowercase "l" as an uppercase "I."  I just couldn't use a lowercase "i" so thankfully there was a solution.  I am kind of old school and can't stand seeing "I" as a word as lowercase.  Know what i mean ... ;-)
 So the quilt is currently at 469 squares, all different.  I certainly used many of the same fabrics over (good ones with large repeats), but the exact image isn't the same in any square.  And I thought I was done, but I want another 69 squares to put a border across the bottom.  It will be just like the one on the top to balance it out and make the whole thing more rectangular.  I have almost enough squares cut now.
-
When I told my husband I was adding the last *few* squares, he said, "Why stop now, why not just go for 1000 squares? Then you could cover the whole room."  (Cut to me rolling my eyes)  I told him that smarty pants comments like that would end up on the blog. Anyway, as far as the quilt goes I will admit I am very much the sort to say, well I already put a lot of time in it, so what's a little more? It's totally worth it.  
Anyway, I LOVE it and hopefully within a couple of weeks I will be able to show it all quilted and bound.  (It will be going out to be quilted ... it is going to be about 90 by 108 I think ... )
-
I'm linking up to W.I.P. Wednesday. And I'm going to try two new linkies for fun -- The Sundae Scoop, and The Sisters Sunday Link Party!  Happy Quilting! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment