Wednesday, May 18, 2011

to-do: the benefits (finally) . . .

Isn't it amazing how a little blogger glitch can completely set you back? Having that blog post disappear into outer space ... ugh!

So, can I make a confession? I've not made a to-do list for the past two days. *GASP* I know, right? It's one of the reasons that I haven't finished this series yet -- I didn't have a list to remind me!

That brings me to what I consider to be one of the top to-do list benefits. It helps me have a "big picture" look at my day. (Which is also one of the reasons I suggest making out your list earlier in the day, rather than later.) And it keeps me from forgetting the important things that need to go into my day! It allows me to prioritize and make the most of my time. And nothing falls through the cracks. Now, that's not to say that I can't *choose* to eliminate something from my list--or move it to another day--but that's an entirely different story!

Another benefit? A sense of accomplishment when I look back over my list throughout the day and see what I've crossed off! Especially at the end of the day. It's all too easy to sit down in the evening, look around you and wonder, "What exactly did I do today?" That list lays it out plain and clear - crossed-out-line by crossed-out-line. High five! You go ahead and put your feet up. Anyone can tell just by looking at that list, you earned a break!

Want more? Try this -- it's great to be able to look back over a couple a days, maybe a week, perhaps a whole month! I have to track time for monthly reports. I use my to-do lists to help me keep up with that. I also use it to help me track mileage when I need to keep up with that.

It makes me feel good. Along with that sense of accomplishment, I *don't* flip-flop around in my day like a fish out of water. I have purpose and focus. Gosh, if feeling good was the only benefit, it would be enough, don't you think?

Give it a try, say for two weeks. It takes about two weeks to make it habit forming; and to give you a sense of how great an asset it can be!

One more post and I'll give it rest. Don't worry -- I'll make my list tomorrow -- and finishing up this series will be at the top!

:)

0 comments:

Post a Comment